Camp Recipe: Sweet & Spicy Asian Trail Mix for National Trail Mix Day
Today is National Trail Mix Day. Much like our gourmet s’mores, we’re always looking to put a spin on the classics. To celebrate National Trail Mix Day, we decided to go all out with some Sweet & Spicy Asian Trail Mix (and spicy it is!). Looking around on the interwebs for a good recipe, we stumbled across Rachael Ray’s Spicy Sweet Asian Nut Mix, and decided to build off of it.
Sweet & Spicy Asian Trail Mix
Trail Mix Ingredients
- Sesame Sticks
- Wasabi Peas
- Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds (regular almonds are fine, too)
- Dried Pineapple
- Dried Apricots
- Crystallized Ginger
- Chow Mein Noodles
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the sesame seeds and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and when just dissolved, stir in the soy sauce, then the chow mein noodles. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet, let cool.
- Mix the other ingredients in a bowl, amounts to taste. We did fairly even amounts of everything, but put in the most of what you like the best.
- When the chow mein noodles are cool, mix them in. (We had to wait overnight for the chow mein noodles to be dry enough to mix with the rest.)