May 28, 2012 in Camp Recipes
Brats and Italian sausages are all well and good, but why limit your camp side meals to these prepackaged staples? These Italian Meatball foil packet recipes are easy to make, can feed a small army and turn your Memorial Day weekend picnic into an Italian-style feast in no time flat.
We opted for ground turkey and turkey Italian sausage, but beef and chicken would work great, too. Just go with your preference and get ready for a little Italian-o next time you head to your favorite campground.
Spicy Italian Meatball Hoagies
- 1 lb ground turkey (or meat of your choice)
- 1/2 lb Spicy Italian Turkey sausage
- 1 C. breadcrumbs (I used sesame panko breadcrumbs, but any variation will do)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspooon parsley flakes
- 2 – 4 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 C. spaghetti sauce, reserve 1/2 C. for foil packet lining (we used Arrabbiata for a spicy kick)
- Hoagie buns
- Mozzarella or Swiss cheese slices (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (except the reserved spaghetti sauce). Mix thoroughly by hand.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or similar spoon, form the mixture into meatballs 1-1.5″ in diameter. Will likely make 24 – 30 meatballs.
- Make large double layer square of foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Ladle part of the reserved spaghetti sauce onto the foil. Place 6 – 8 meatballs on top of the sauce.
- Wrap and seal the aluminum foil. Leave room in the packet to allow air to flow through as it cooks.
- Cook on hot coals for 15 minutes or on a covered grill for 20 minutes. Flip about half-way through.
- Open with caution – there will be plenty of steam.
- Place 3 – 4 meatballs on a hoagie bun. Layer with cheese slices.
- Prop up your feet and enjoy.